Baptism. You two are just dumber'n a bag of hammers.  

Posted by Steven G.

Ulysses Everett McGill

Today baby Witt Floyd was baptized.

Baptism is a means of grace. In other words, it is one of two sacraments, (the Lord's Supper being the other) that is a means that God uses to convey grace upon His people. The sacraments are a visual representation of God's word, the Gospel.

I realized today that I often think of Baptism as a means of grace for the one being baptized and not for the congregation. How wrong. Baptism is a holding up of the Gospel in the same way as the Lord's Supper, yet different. In Baptism, I am reminded of my helpless state, I am encouraged by the covenant promises of God, I am captured by the love of God for sinners like Witt, like me.

My family spent the afternoon with the Floyds, their family and several families from our church. We hung out, ate perfectly grilled chicken, played with the babies... and experienced something that Baptism gives, unity. We were all the same, all without reputation, without power, without hope, except for Jesus.

G

This entry was posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 at Sunday, July 20, 2008 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the .

0 comments