Glimpses 2  

Posted by Steven G.

My time at 85th Street was crucial in my experience of the Gospel. At this place I found people who loved me and poured themselves out so that I could flourish. In the youth group I received my first non-King James bible, heard biblical teaching and experienced Christian community. I wish I could say that I was a spiritual virtuoso, grasping deep truths and seeing the Gospel with clarity, but...my Gospel grasp was weak at best. I remember as I struggled with sin, that Jesus said something about being forgiven 70 times 7. The way I figured it, I had 490 times to ask for forgiveness! Guilt was my constant companion.

A half-Gospel is really not good news. My teen years and early twenties were spent with a half-Gospel. I knew that Jesus died on the cross for sinners and that I was a sinner. I had walked the aisle and asked Him into my heart. I feared God. He was my judged and was constantly disappointed with me. Sin was what others could see. My life was without power, joy, purpose. I was still relating to God as a slave, trying to keep the law so that He would be happy with me.

I took this Gospel through college, to Moody and into my marriage to Laura.

Thankfully, God was still working...calling.....pursuing me.....................





This entry was posted on Tuesday, July 14, 2009 at Tuesday, July 14, 2009 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment